2013年1月18日金曜日

Benghazi No Investigation

ベンガジの米大使館襲撃捜査官が消え続けているようだ。

リビア警察による調査はなし。
米領事館は、焼け落ちた廃墟。
襲撃犯のほとんどは、逃亡中。

Ali al-Harzi 26才
・襲撃の容疑者として、トルコで逮捕、チュニジアに引渡し。
 チュニジアの裁判所にて、証拠不十分だが、渡航禁止を条件に釈放。
 チェニスで裁判官立会いの下、FBIによる3時間の調査を受け、解放。

Faraj el-Drissi
・ベンガジ警察署長
・ベンガジの家で、武装犯らに殺される。

Abdelsalam al-Mahdawi
・ベンガジ犯罪捜査主任
・信号待ちの車を覆面した男らが囲み、誘拐され、現在も行方不明。。

FBI
・ベンガジ襲撃は、AQIMとAnsar al-Shariahによるテロリストによる
 と判断。
・エジプトでベンガジ襲撃に参加したイスラム聖戦グループの一部を
 逮捕。

ベンガジを管轄している警察の捜査官が、捜査を始めるといなくなると
話題のようだ。
ベンガジの米領事館は、焼落ち廃墟となる。
襲撃犯がつかまらなければ、領事館も建て直せないし、人員配置もで
きない。
領事館を保護するのは、現地の国家。領事館内は、母国が保護だから、
リビアの治安が安定しなければ、原状回復もできないとなる。
リビア在住の米国人は、どうするのだろうか。

Paula Broadwellの説では、ベンガジの米領事館には、秘密の建物があ
るとのことだから、廃墟になっても、間取りは見つかるかもしれない。
この関係の情報は、報道で見当たらないが、報道規制か。

カダフィ政権崩壊後、武器と資金が周辺国に流出。
リビアは、イスラム教政権を確立し、イスラム過激派は、周辺国に流れ
侵略を続ける。イスラム教布教ではなく、イスラム教の名を借りたテロ
リストのようだ。

リビア 反イスラム教動画で米大使死亡
Paula Broadwell Lover or Whistle-blower
在日米軍の綱紀粛正強化


Daily Press Briefing: January 9, 2013


 Tunisia Releases ONLY Suspect Arrested In Benghazi Attack


---In Libya: Why the Benghazi Investigation Is Going Nowhere---
By Vivienne WaltJan. 10, 2013
http://world.time.com/2013/01/10/in-libya-why-the-benghazi-investigation-is-going-nowhere/

Four months after a brutal assault on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi killed the ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, politicians in Washington are still railing over how diplomats were left vulnerable to attack. Yet the political furor, which now threatens to hold up President Obama’s national-security nominations, stands in stark contrast to the response in Libya itself. There, Libyans say, the investigation is nonoperational, if not effectively dead, with witnesses too fearful to talk and key police officers targeted for violent retribution. “There is no Libyan investigation. No, no, no,” says Mohamed Buisier, a political activist in Benghazi, who returned home in 2011 after decades in the U.S. “There is not even a will to investigate anything. Even for us civilians, it is very dangerous if you talk about this subject.”

The growing sense that the culprits in the Sept. 11, 2012, attack might never be caught deepened this week, when Tunisian officials released the sole suspect in custody. Citing lack of evidence, they freed Ali al-Harzi, a Tunisian citizen, though he is still restricted from traveling outside the four governorates surrounding Tunis. Al-Harzi was arrested in Turkey shortly after the Benghazi attack and deported to his home country, finally agreeing last month to a three-hour interrogation by FBI agents in Tunis, according to his lawyer Anour Ouled Ali. “He denied everything,” Ali told TIME on Thursday by phone from Tunis. “He told the FBI he was not involved at all.”

Whoever knows differently is for now not talking. And in fact, they might be dead or missing. Last week masked men surrounded the car of Benghazi’s chief of criminal investigations, Captain Abdelsalam al-Mahdawi, while he stopped at a traffic light and abducted him; he has not been seen since. His kidnapping came less than two months after Benghazi’s police chief, Faraj el-Drissi, was murdered in his Benghazi home and just weeks after armed men attempted to break into a jail in order to free the suspects in custody for el-Drissi’s murder.

Beset by criminality and awash with weapons, Benghazi is a dangerous place, and police officers like al-Mahdawi and el-Drissi had full dockets. But both men had the attack on the U.S. compound in common. “Any person who touches this file is disappearing into thin air,” says Rami el-Obeidi, a former intelligence chief for the rebels’ National Transitional Council during the 2011 revolution, who has attempted to probe the attack on his own time but has faced the frustrations of confusing and missing evidence. “Who’s leading the investigation now? No one. What’s the progress? Nothing,” he said by phone. “Anyone who has had a hand in the investigation has been killed or abducted or threatened.”

The stymied investigation seems a far cry from the assurances from Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, immediately after the attack, that the culprits would be caught. A somber Obama told White House reporters the morning after the attack, “Make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people.”

As the months have gone by, Libyans have come to doubt that will happen, believing that the attack was the work of armed militia too powerful for the weak central government in Tripoli to apprehend. In a phone interview on Wednesday, one Benghazi resident who did not want to be named told TIME that government security forces appeared to have decided not to stop the Sept. 11 attack while it was in progress. The resident said a colonel from the Ministry of Defense, a friend of his, had paid a social call to his home during the hours of the assault that night and had rebuffed pleas for help during the battle. “He began getting calls from people. One said it was war over there,” says the resident. “He said he had instructions not to interfere. Every time, he said it wasn’t serious.”

That reasoning seems unlikely to satisfy enraged Republicans in Washington, who have accused the Obama Administration of allowing fatal lapses in security for diplomats in Benghazi. On Tuesday, Senator Lindsey Graham told Fox News that the Senate should block the confirmation of John Brennan as the new CIA director “until our questions are answered” about “what transpired before, during and after the attack on our consulate.”

On the ground, however, Benghazi’s residents are slowly moving on and forgetting about the disastrous assault four months ago. The consulate building remains a burned-out ruin. And with al-Harzi out of jail in Tunisia, there is no suspect in custody for the attack. Buisier says the only thing that reminds people of the attack these days is the noise from above, apparently U.S. drones flying over eastern Libya’s main city as part of ramped-up security after the attack. Says he, “We wish they would be quieter.”


---HILLARY CLINTON TO FINALLY TESTIFY ON BENGHAZI BECAUSE PEOPLE STILL CARE ABOUT BENGHAZI APPARENTLY---
January 10 2013
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Politics/pages-7/Hillary-Clinton-to-finally-testify-on-Benghazi-because-people-still-care-about-Benghazi-apparently-Scrape-TV-The-World-on-your-side-2013-01-10.html

Washington, D.C. - One day people will forget about the Benghazi embassy attack. That is not an assumption or a presumption, it is a fact. While the events of that day were certainly tragic, especially for the families of the people killed, it was a minor event in the scope of everything that has and could happen in the world.

Still, it was an event and it became a controversy, largely due to the fact that it was an election year and a bitter one at that. That controversy touched all aspects of the government and even now, long after the election and event itself, the saga is continuing.

The final key the puzzle, the thing that may end the controversy once and for all, is about to fall into place. Hillary Clinton, who has been out of commission for the last month with various maladies, will finally testify before Congress, just days before she leaves office, and tell them pretty much the same things she has been saying all along so that they can finally put this whole thing to bed like they should have done months ago.

“The goal on our side is we would have the secretary able to testify as she's promised to do while she's still sitting secretary but also have the confirmation hearing as quickly as appropriate after they come back,” said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nulan. “The expectation is that she would be prepared to testify in both the House and the Senate, so we have to work out appropriate timing in both places.”

It’s believed that Clinton will testify on the 21st or 22nd which is literally days before her term is due to end.

It’s not clear what Clinton will say but it likely won’t be anything they haven’t heard already.

“It’s good for everyone I think that this thing will finally be over once Clinton testifies. It’s been a long process and it really seemed to have no end, which would have been a big deal months ago when people still cared about it which is really not the case anymore,” said Scrape TV Political analyst Gabriel Kinsey. “Clearly some people still care about it, clearly, but that is not the majority of Americans. They seemed to care about it in the days after it happened but beyond that not so much, certainly not enough to sway the election as was really the intent in the first place, frankly, by the politicians.”

One of the most prominent critics of the aftermath of the incident was Mitt Romney, who lost the election.

“There will still be some chatter and talk after Clinton testifies to be sure because they won’t just want to let this go after dealing with it for so long. They need to make sure that people understand how important they truly think it is, that they weren’t just wasting taxpayer time and money with this nonsense and that it really truly is important so it will go on for awhile longer for sure,” continued Kinsey. “Hopefully not too long because it’s pretty boring and pointless, frankly, and everyone is really bored of it. Still, I hope they get what they want from Clinton even if it’s exactly what they expected her to say which of course it will be, always was.”

Clinton is apparently excited to give testimony, her last before she becomes President.


---Blow to Obama as terror suspect linked to Benghazi consulate attack is freed---
By Toby Harnden
PUBLISHED: 14:01 GMT, 8 January 2013 | UPDATED: 17:42 GMT, 8 January 2013
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2259015/Suspect-Benghazi-consulate-attack-freed-custody-Tunisia.html

A Tunisian man questioned by the F.B.I about the murderous attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi has been released by a Tunisian judge due to lack of evidence, according to his lawyer.

Ali Harzi, 26, was one of the few known suspects in custody the case, which has been beset by problems stemming from the weakness of the Libyan government and the power of militias in the country - some of whom may have even been involved in the attack.

Christopher Stevens, who died in the September 11 attack, was the first U.S. ambassador to be killed in the line of duty since 1979. Sean Smith, another diplomat, and Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, both C.I.A. contractors and former U.S. Navy SEALs, were also killed.

Anwar Oued-Ali, Harzi's lawyer, said that the presiding judge had 'conditionally freed' his client on Monday night on the understanding that he would remain in the Tunis area in case the court needed to recall him.

The lawyer described the release as 'correcting an irregular situation' because the Tunisian authorities lacked hard evidence.

Harzi was detained in Turkey and in October he was extradited to Tunisia, where authorities had said he was 'strongly suspected' of being involved in the attack.

His lawyer said he was officially charged with 'membership of a terrorist organisation' - a charge that left him facing six to 12 years in jail.

Last month, FBI officers questioned Harzi for three hours in the presence of a Tunisian judge.

The FBI has not commented on the results of the questioning, but Harzi's lawyer said they just asked if his client had any information about the attacks on the Benghazi consulate as well as the assault on the U.S. embassy in Tunis three days later.

U.S. intelligence has blamed the Benghazi attack on terrorists linked to al-Qaeda - members of different groups ranging from local Libyan militia Ansar al-Shariah and al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb.

The consulate's cameras captured many of the faces of armed men in a mob, and some have been questioned, but most remain free.

According to American officials, authorities in the region have not yet arrested many of the suspects the U.S. wants to question about the attack.

In a recent TV interview, Harzi's father, Tahar, said his son was just working in Libya in construction supporting his family.

Eight years ago,  Ali harzi and his brother Brahim were sentenced to 30 months in prison for having contact with another brother, Tarek, who fought against US and allied  forces in Iraq.

The father acknowledged that he had encouraged his sons to take up 'jihad in the cause of God'.

As well as Harzi, American officials said in December that Egypt had also arrested a member of the Islamic Jihad group in connection with the Benghazi attack.


---Libya attack changes - CIA and FBI cited---
By Larry Margasak
10:10 AM Wednesday Jan 2, 2013
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10856997

White House made only minor alteration over wording on Benghazi, says report

The FBI, CIA and other intelligence agencies - but not the White House - made major changes in talking points that led to the Obama Administration's confusing explanations of the attack on US diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, a Senate report concluded.

The Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee report said the White House was only responsible for a minor change. Some Republicans had questioned whether the presidential staff rewrote the talking points for political reasons.

The committee, headed by independent Senator Joe Lieberman and Republican Senator Susan Collins, also said the director of national intelligence has been stonewalling the panel in holding back a promised timeline of the changes.

US Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in the September 11 attack last year.

US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said she used the talking points to say in interviews on September 16 that it may have been a protest that got out of hand.

Rice's incorrect explanation may have cost her a chance to be nominated as the next secretary of state, as Senate Republicans publicly said they would not vote to confirm her.

President Barack Obama instead nominated Senator John Kerry, who is expected to win easy confirmation.

The State Department last month acknowledged major weaknesses in security and errors in judgment exposed in an independent report. Two top state officials appealed to Congress to fully fund requests to ensure diplomats and embassies are safe.

Senior State Department officials said serious management and leadership failures left the diplomatic mission in Benghazi woefully unprepared for the terrorist attack.

Eight days after the attack, National Counterterrorism Centre director Matthew Olsen told the Homeland committee the four Americans died "in the course of a terrorist attack".

The same day, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the department stood by the intelligence community's assessment. The next day presidential spokesman Jay Carney said, "It is, I think, self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack." Secretary of State Hillary Clinton used the words "terrorist attack" on September 21.

Olsen's acknowledgement was important, the report said, because talking points prepared by intelligence officials the previous week had undergone major changes.

A line saying "we know" individuals associated with al-Qaeda or its affiliates participated in the attacks was changed to say, "There are indications that extremists participated." The talking points dropped the reference to al-Qaeda and its affiliates and a reference to "attacks" was changed to "demonstrations".

The committee said the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, and representatives from the CIA, State Department, counter-intelligence centre and the FBI told the panel the changes were made within the CIA and intelligence community.

The only White House change substituted a reference of "consulate" to "mission."

0 コメント: